Click A Board Member’s Name to Read Bio
– Mr. John Adams is an owner and principal at Adams & Company, P.A. His true passion for working one on one with his clients drives him to constantly seek out innovative strategies that will help both business and individuals grow and prosper. Mr. Adams loyal client base comes from the fact that he truly loves what he does – providing accounting, tax planning, and business consulting services to clients in the real estate, construction, and health care industries as well as professional service companies and other local niche businesses. In addition to his work, he enjoys spending time with his wife, daughter, and friends, especially if it’s on a boat! If he’s not boating, he entertains himself with traveling, scuba diving, and hiking. Mr. Adams is a long time member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants. He received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the University of Southern Maine and his Masters of Science in Accounting from the University of Central Florida. He has served on the Board of Directors for The Arnette House, Central Florida YMCA, Ocala Boat Club, and several property owner associations.
- Mr. Ken Ausley is a native of Ocala and Co-Owner of Ausley Construction Company, Inc. Ausley Construction is a second generation commercial construction firm operating in Central Florida since 1958. Mr. Ausley is also Principal/Co-Owner of ACA Construction Group, LLC. ACA Construction Group specializes in large institutional and public sector projects with particular expertise in the K-12, College and University construction markets. Mr. Ausley graduated from Florida State University in 1990 with a B.A. in History. After graduation he worked for twelve years with a faith-based non- profit and served as a director in Tampa/St. Petersburg and the San Francisco Bay Area. Mr. Ausley remains active in the non-profit community through his service on various boards including Kimberly’s Center for Child Protection, the Ocala/Marion County Chamber and Economic Partnership, the City of Ocala’s 2035 Vision Leadership Group, the Marion County Value Adjustment Board and the board of Ambleside Schools International. He is also the Co-Founder and Chairman of the Board of Ambleside School of Ocala, Inc., and a non-profit, private K-8 school.
– Mr. Dennis Baxley is the Founding Chairman of First Avenue National Bank. He began his career in funeral service in 1970 and became the Vice-President and principal owner of Hiers-Baxley Funeral Services employing over 100 individuals and operating six business locations. In 2000, Mr. Baxley ran for the Florida House of Representatives and served as Speaker Pro Tempore under Marco Rubio. After his service in the Florida House he led the Christian Coalition of Florida as its Executive Director. In 2010 he ran again for the Florida House and is currently serving in his third term. His previous banking experience includes being a Board Member of Independent National Bank from 2000 to 2005. His community service includes: past President of the Belleview Rotary Club, past Board Member of Kimberly’s Center, and current Board Member of the Marion County Children’s Alliance. Legislative honors include an Honorary Doctor of Laws in 2005 from Flagler College in St. Augustine. He received his A.A. from the College of Central Florida in Ocala, his B.A. in Sociology/Psychology from Florida State University in 1974, and his A.S. in Funeral Service from Miami-Dade College in 1975. He and his wife Ginette have been married over 40 years and have five children and eight grandchildren.
- Mr. Ron Bew has a diverse domestic and international background in assisting small business. He has over twenty-five years of senior-level commercial lending experience with Bank of America. Before retiring from the U.S. Small Business Administration, he served as head of Capital Access where he was responsible for a $50 billion loan portfolio. He also served as a banking consultant in Moscow and Bosnia. Currently he is Vice Chairman of Global Alliance SME, a Chinese non-profit fostering small business development in the G-20 countries.
– Mrs. Katherine Glynn has been a practicing attorney in Ocala since 1995. After graduating from Forest High School, she got her undergraduate degree from Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, Florida and then her Juris Doctor degree from St. Thomas School of Law in Miami, Florida in 1995. As an avid horsewoman, Mrs. Glynn came back to Ocala and began her career as a prosecutor at the Marion County State Attorney’s Office. In 1999, she started practicing civil law with her father and long-time Ocala attorney, John H. Piccin. After seven and a half years of litigating insurance claims, she served as CEO and General Counsel to Sag Harbor Homes in Ocala in 2007. Since January of 2008, she has held the position of Staff Attorney for the Marion County Clerk of the Circuit Court, David R. Ellspermann; in 2014 her position changed to Chief Deputy of Courts. Mrs. Glynn enjoyed serving as Leadership Division Vice President of the Ocala/Marion Chamber of Commerce in 2007 as well as on the Board of Regents of Leadership Ocala from 2004 to 2007. She and her husband have one son.
Dr. Craig Kuykendall
– Dr. Craig Kuykendall has been a practicing physician in Ocala, Florida since 1991. After receiving his BS and MD degrees from Vanderbilt University, he completed his cardiovascular surgical training at the Texas Heart Institute in Houston, Texas. Currently he is a practicing surgeon at the Ocala Heart Institute. This practice has grown during the past 20 years providing cardiac surgical services to patients in the Florida communities of Ocala, Leesburg, Venice, Inverness, Winter Haven, and Stuart. Dr. Kuykendall continues to actively participate in many hospital-based committees that oversee the development and management of hospital resources. He holds memberships in the Florida Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, Florida Vascular Society, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American College of Surgeons, and Denton A. Cooley Cardiovascular Society. He is married with five children and attends First Baptist Church of Ocala.
– Ms. Renee Pelzman is a graduate of the University of Florida and the University Of Miami School Of Law. She is a practicing attorney with offices in Ocala. Ms. Pelzman began her legal career in 1982 as an assistant state attorney under Janet Reno in Miami, Florida and went on to prosecute criminals at the appellate level with the Office of the Attorney General of Florida. She entered private practice in 1985 and has served on several Florida Bar committees. Ms. Pelzman volunteers with the Justice Teaching Program developed and promoted by Florida Supreme Court Justice Fred Lewis. She is also the managing partner of Holly Hill Farms, LLC and is involved in the breeding, training and showing of Arabian, part-Arabian, and Quarter Horses at the state and national levels. She is a member of the Marion County Chamber of Commerce and has been on the board of directors of the Ocala/Silver Springs Rotary Club and Kimberly’s Center for Child Protection. Ms. Pelzman has also owned local businesses including a horse trailer dealership and supports many agriculture-related events including the U.S. National Arabian Horse Championships, the Sparr United Methodist Church Horse Show and other local horse-related endeavors. She has one daughter, Morgan, who is in the real estate profession.
– Mr. Joe Pickens became the fourth President of St. Johns River Community College on November 1, 2008. SJRCC consists of three full-service campuses in Clay, Putnam and St. Johns counties. Mr. Pickens earned his bachelor’s degree from Wofford College and his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Florida. Prior to his role as SJRCC President, he served eight years in the Florida House of Representatives. During his third term in the legislature, he served as the Chairman of the House Education Appropriations Committee. In his final term he served as the Chairman of the House Schools and Learning Council. In 2008, he was the fourth person recognized by the Florida School Boards Association with their Lifetime Achievement Award (joining two-time Senate President Toni Jennings, the late Governor Lawton Chiles and former Education Commissioner and Lt. Governor Frank Brogan). His previous banking experience includes serving as Chairman of the Board and Legal Counsel to Citizens First National Bank of Crescent City, Florida (now known as Mercantile Bank by merger with The South Financial Group). His career includes serving as the general counsel for the North East Florida Educational Consortium and serving 17 years as the attorney for the Putnam County School Board. Mr. Pickens and his wife, Linda, have three children and live in Palatka.
– Mr. Don Stauss founded Big D Roofing in 1981, and is President of Big D Roofing Services. Big D Roofing Services is a major commercial and residential roofing contractor in Central Florida. The company’s client list includes The University of Florida, College of Central Florida, Pasco-Hernando Community College, Wal-Mart and numerous municipal school boards. The company has completed commercial projects as far north as New Hampshire and as far west as Illinois. Mr. Stauss and his company have assisted in completing numerous volunteer projects in Ocala/Marion County community, including the construction Rotary Park (athletic complex), Shocker Park (athletic fields), the Boy Scouts of America, the Human Society, and numerous Habitat for Humanity projects. Mr. Stauss is married to Paula, a high school teacher, and they have two children. He served in the United States Marine Corps, was recognized with honors at the top of his class, and received an honorable discharge.
-Mr. Ralph Strayhorn, President and CEO of First Avenue National Bank, has served as Managing Partner of Cape Point Advisory Partners, LLC and its predecessor since 2009. He has spent the last 34 years in the banking and related financial businesses since receiving his JD degree in 1981 from UNC-Chapel Hill and his BA from UNC-Chapel Hill in 1977.
He has served on the First Avenue Board and its Executive Committee since 2014. During 13 of the last 21 years, he has served as an executive officer of four community banks in North Carolina, served on the board of directors of three of these banks and served as President & CEO of two of these banks. Mr. Strayhorn has both lectured and spoken at various directors’ colleges and CEO forums in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia and has addressed the North Carolina Banking Commission on the “Anatomy of a Failure” and the present state of community banking in North Carolina. His comments, conclusions and recommendations stated in various public speaking engagements are based on his cumulative experiences in his various roles. Mr. Strayhorn has been married for 35 years to former Keiran Margaret Maughan-Brown of Cape Town, South Africa. They have two children and one grandson.